What Roof Pitch Should You Choose?
Let us help you decide…
What is roof pitch:
In steel building construction, roof pitch is most often applied to the angle of slope of a roof. It is defined as “rise over run”. Thus, a roof that “rises” 3 feet vertically in a “run” of 12 feet horizontally, is referred to as a 3:12 Pitch. (see featured image)
Typically, the steeply pitched roofs are designed for heavy snow areas where some building departments may require a steeper pitch for enhanced run-off; however, the pitch requirement usually applies to building materials other than steel. With a pre-engineered steel building, the MBS (Metal Building Software) factors in the following: roof pitch, the distance of column spacing, and psi strength of the steel used – so that a 1:12 roof pitch building can be designed to handle a 60 lb. roof snow load equally as a 4:12 pitch.
Roof Pitch Choice
With this in mind, most customers determine their roof pitch based on
1) Preference of a particular roof pitch appearance,
2) Whether or not the roof is colored, and/or
3) Matching roof pitches of existing buildings in the area.
The higher the roof pitch, the better for heavier snow conditions.
Preference of roof pitch – If someone was raised in the North East where colonial-style homes are the norm, most likely this individual will prefer a high-rise roof appearance. Accordingly, someone growing up in the South West, with a lot of low-rise roof styles, will probably prefer the look of a flatter roof design.
Based on whether the roof is colored – In most cases an I-beam steel building has a standard galvalume finish. To have a colored roof, factor in additional cost. Though the galvalume finish is not unattractive, it definitely has a bland appearance at best. Consequently, most would prefer a colored roof finish versus a galvalume finish if the roof is visible. As an illustration, the taller the building plus the angle of the slope will determine whether a consumer will be able to see their roof from a curb view. One will be able to see the roof on a steeper 4:12 pitch versus a flatter 1:12 pitch building no matter the building height.
A final point to consider, a colored roof has a 40-year paint warranty finish while a galvalume finish has a 30-year warranty.
The matching look of neighboring buildings – The other determinant is matching the roof pitch rise of other buildings in the area. As an example, if the new steel building will sit alongside a house with a steep pitch, it might be smart to match the roof pitch and color appearance as much as possible for a harmonious appeal.
All in all, deciding upon the roof pitch of your new steel building is an important factor to consider in the design phase of your inspired new project – enhancing your satisfaction with the building for decades to come!
The Simplest and Smartest Savings Program in the Industry
Factory Steel Overstock was founded in 2011 by a Spiritual Practitioner and a 35-year industry veteran. The program enables ready buyers to know the true wholesale costs and savings before paying the brokerage fee! Start by reviewing posted prices. Then on the day they are ready to buy, they fill out a Name Your Price or Wholesale Quote form. Questions 1-888-512-1116.
- If a lower price than Your Named Price is attained, you will be presented with that lower price. Factory Steel Overstock will not pocket the difference!
- For Wholesale Quotes, we will present you our EXACT wholesale cost! This price is guaranteed below market quotes of equal specifications – TERMS.
Upon receiving a price below market quotes, you PROMISE to pay the brokerage fee the SAME DAY of the received price.
Important: This no-upfront-cost savings program is designed for ready buyers. If you’re not prepared to pay the brokerage fee on the same day as receiving our quoted savings, please refrain from requesting a wholesale quote. Failure to pay the fee will result in a permanent ban from purchasing from Factory Steel Overstock’s Cost-Plus program. Questions 1-888-512-1116.
How to buy Metal Building Kits and Insulation at Wholesale Rates
Name Your Price
- This option is exclusively for customers who know the exact market price for their steel building or insulation.
- Can name their exact purchase price.
- $350 Insulation brokerage fee for up to $25,000 of wholesale cost
- $750 brokerage fee for up to $100,000 of wholesale cost on metal building kits.
- Fill out the Name Your Price Form A representative will speak with you to verify your intent.
- If your desired purchase price is achieved, sign the proposal, return it, and pay the brokerage fee THAT DAY.
- Factory Steel Overstock will submit the order and service it through delivery and beyond.
Wholesale Custom Quotes
- Select this option if you want assistance with choosing items for your project.
- $350 – $500 brokerage fee for insulation orders.
- $1,500 brokerage fee for steel building orders.
- Fill Out an Insulation Quote-Order or Metal Building Kit Quote-Order Form.
- Call 1-888-512-1116. A representative will confirm your intentions to purchase and an assessment of your quote request.
- Receive a wholesale quote, that confirms savings. Sign the proposal and return it. Pay a $350 – $500 brokerage fee for Fiberglass Insulation orders or a $1,500 brokerage fee for Custom Building Orders. For reflective insulation orders, pay the wholesale cost + $350 brokerage fee to FSO.
- Factory Steel Overstock will submit the order and service it through delivery and beyond. For Building orders, pay a 30% building deposit to a certified manufacturer within 5 days. For Fiberglass orders, pay the wholesale fiberglass cost + taxes to the supplier within 3 days of the order.
“I ordered three buildings and this has been an excellent experience. The website is extremely helpful for planning purposes. The order process is efficient and the staff is very efficient and helpful. I have already recommended FSO to a friend.”
– 50x100x16 Connie C. 7/2/2018
“Definitely will do business with this company again.”
– by Ivan Timoshuchuk 10/9/2021
“I have purchased and erected four metal buildings in the past. This transaction was the best price by far and the simplest person to deal with. He never tried to constantly up sell me. All my buildings in the future will come from Factory Steel Overstock.”
– by Ralph B. 75 x 90 x 18
– Feb. 06, 2015